Director, Nutrition Strategy
Clif Bar & Company is looking for a DIRECTOR OF NUTRITION STRATEGY to join our Nutrition Team.
The ideal candidate will have an immediate connection to our Five Aspirations, as well as embody the “Clif Bar Ingredients” (Create, Inspire, Connect, Own It, and Be Yourself).
This candidate will be extremely flexible and enjoy a “high-change” environment where priorities shift from day to day. Candidates, who connect through positive and respectful interaction, inspire greater success across all Five Aspirations and create extraordinary experiences, solutions and ideas will be at the top of our list.
The Food & Innovation function at Clif Bar creates healthy, sustainable, nutrient dense, (kick ass) foods that energize people and feeds their adventures. As a member of the Food & Innovation leadership team, the Director of Nutrition will demonstrate our commitment to be: consumer informed, strategy driven, creative idea champions, taste and quality obsessed and committed to executing with excellence.
The Director of Nutrition Strategy is accountable for defining the direction of CB&C nutrition program within the context of CB&C company strategies. S/he will provide strategic direction and nutrition leadership by identifying and developing nutrition strategies across products, communication and claims. S/he will lead the nutrition team to collaborate with the R&D, marketing and communication teams to provide expert nutrition leadership that enables CB&C growth. S/he will lead further development of the company’s position as nutrition leaders and serve as a champion for nutrition across the organization.
Strategy: Nutrition Purpose for Products/Portfolio
- Create a vision and strategy for CB&C nutrition to meet consumer needs and further CB&C’s leadership in creating healthy foods that energize people while aligning w/ overall business goals
- Lead capability to evaluate and understand current and emerging science as it relates to nutrition trends to provide the organization with a competitive advantage (identify growth opportunities and develop game-changing ideas)
- Lead the development and implementation of nutrition strategies for CB&C with focus on opportunities that enable the broader brand marketing and business strategies to differentiate CB&C brands and products
- Elevate visibility and role of Nutrition across the organization
- Build organizational understanding of food made with nutrition purpose
Nutrition Science, Claims and Regulatory
- Provide nutrition leadership and direction through collaboration with innovation, insights, and product development to assure individual products and product portfolio are developed with and designed to serve a nutrition purpose
- Oversees work with R&D to develop, review and optimize nutritional profile of products, and ingredient statements
- Work closely with R&D and Legal to coordinate successful development of nutrition claims process ensuring scientifically substantiated nutrition claims
- Lead the development of strategic communications to establish CB&C as a leader in nutrition
- Establish structures to support accuracy and coordination of PR, digital, marketing, sales, and company communications to further company goals and strategies
- Lead the nutrition team to bring nutrition to the forefront and influence product development and nutrition communication across the organization
- Develop the nutrition team via coaching, mentoring, training and ongoing feedback to elevate individual success and drive team results
- Help develop and maintain professional relationships and CB&C Nutrition Board of experts and KOLs on nutrition and health related subject matter
- Represent Clif Bar and Company with key external organizations
Position-Specific Skills Required
The ideal candidate will:
- Articulate a vision and develop a strategic plan to activate the vision over a multi-year period
- Evaluate nutrition landscape and “connect the dots” across trends, fads, emerging and established science to identify opportunities and develop CB&C position (POV)
- Push organizational thinking and willingness to take informed risks that elevate CB&C’s nutrition strategy and drive company growth
- Be an articulate, collaborative communicator experienced in educating teams and presenting to stakeholders
- Create alignment, influence and lead diverse cross-functional teams
- Have working knowledge of and proven expertise with labeling regulations in the US
- Be a genuine Clif Bar & Company ambassador, who exemplifies the Clif Bar culture in all candidate communications and interactions
- Embody the Clif Bar Five Aspirations and Ingredients
Leadership Skills Required
- Take ownership and responsibility for actions, behaviors and contributions.
- Strong ability to inspire and motivate self and others.
- Proven experience leading direct reports, cross-functional teams and influencing stakeholders.
- Cultivate and motivate the team and individual members in a way that elevates the people and facilitates an inspired and collaborative environment
- Ability to build relationships with and influence a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders including researchers, key opinion leaders, agency, and industry partners
- Pro-active self-starter with a high level of initiative, resilience, and persistence who is comfortable operating in ambiguity with ability to drive results
Technical Expertise Required
- Knowledge of FDA’s food guidance, regulations, and governing nutrition policies
- Proficiency in reading and comprehending scientific papers
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- BS, MS or PhD in Nutrition or Food Science; advanced degree is strongly preferred
- 10+ years of experience in nutrition research, nutrition marketing and regulatory affairs roles. 5-7 years of this experience must be in a management role. Part or all must be food industry related
- Demonstrated track record of thought leadership in the field of Nutrition Science, Policy and Regulatory Affairs management
- Approximately 20% time
Take yourself lightly and your work seriously. And…bring your best self to work each day!